Click on a Question to reveal the Answer.

How do I start the application process for a Building Approval?

Phone D G Certifiers on (07) 3385-5004 to discuss, or enquire online now  where you can provide information about your building works (existing or new).

How do I obtain a Fee Estimate?

Simply visit our Request a Fee Estimate page and fill in the form.

What is a Site Plan?

A site plan shows the location of all structures on the property (existing and proposed). To obtain a fee estimate, a Site Plan can be prepared by you with some basic information.  As a guide, the following details would usually be shown on a site plan:

  • Location of the proposed structure

  • Setbacks from boundaries – these distances should always be to the outermost projection of the structure

  • Any existing building should be clearly marked

  • Location of the road and street name

  • Location and dimensions of any easements, if known

  • Total floor area of proposed structure, if known

  • Site coverage (total area of all structures on the property), if known

  • Positions of retaining walls

  • Driveway location

  • Location of swimming pool fences, gates and filtration equipment including pipelines ( where applicable)

  • Location of sewerage lines/manholes/connection points, septic tanks trenches disposal areas, if known.

Licensed Registered Builder or Owner Builder?

The value of the building works will determine whether you require the following:

  • A Licensed registered builder undertaking work over $3300.00 in contract value,  must provide  QBCC insurance (swimming pools do not require QBCC insurance).  The Certificate of Insurance issued to the builder for your building work is a document that forms part of the building permit documents issued by the Certifier. 
  • An Owner Builder undertaking building work over $11,000.00 in must hold a current  Owner Builder Permit. For further information, go to Queensland Building & Construction Commission (QBCC)

  • When does Portable Long Service  Leave Levy (Q-Leave) Apply?
    Q-Leave applies when building and construction work that is to be carried out and the construction cost is $150,000.00 or more.

  • Who Supervises your Building Works?
    The building work is the shared responsibility of the builder; contractor and the owner to ensure that the building work is carried out to an acceptable standard ready for the inspections required as detailed in the building permit documents.

What Property Searches Are Required?

Depending on the type of building work, the following may apply but are not limited to:

  • Current Title
  • Copy Registered Plan or Survey Plan
  • Easement Documents
  • Flood
  • Noise Transport Corridor
  • Heritage
  • Bushfire
  • Council mapping for drainage
  • Sewers
  • Stormwater
  • Main Roads
  • Town Planning

When providing you with our fee estimate, we will also include details of searches required.

Will an Energy Efficiency Assessment be Required?

If you are building a new house or renovating, adding rooms to an existing home, enclosing a deck, patio or garage, an energy efficiency assessment and report for a star rating will be required.

The report is required prior to the issue of a building approval. 

We can assist in obtaining the assessment and report and will include fees for the energy efficiency assessment and report in our fee estimate.


By obtaining flood information from Council, if the property has been affected by flood or high tide levels, stormwater overland flow paths etc, Council will specify minimum floor levels. 

The minimum floor information relevant to flooding must form part of the building approval documents. 

D G Certifiers conducts preliminary flood enquiry when preparing a Fee Estimate.

Building in a Noise Transport Corridor?

As Queensland’s population grows, more residential development will be located close to major transport routes, railways and motorways.

Designated transport noise corridors are state-controlled roads, railways or local government roads that have been designated by the relevant State or Local Government under the Building Act 1975

New residential buildings and alterations e.g. renovations and additions to existing residential buildings in designated transport noise corridors need to comply with the Queensland Development Code. 

Under the code, buildings need to achieve certain levels of noise mitigation through the use of appropriate materials for the floor, walls, roof, windows and doors.

My Property is in a Designated Bushfire Prone Area or Buffer Zone – Can I Still Do New Building Work?

Properties can be designated by Council as being located in a Bushfire Prone Area or Buffer Zone.

The outcome of further enquiries regarding the Bushfire overlay on the property, will  determine the level of construction required for the building work to comply with Australian Standard AS3959-2009 Construction of Buildings in Bushfire-Prone areas. 

Advice can also be sought from an independent Bushfire Consultant.

My Property Is Heritage Listed or is Adjacent to a Heritage Listed Property – Can I Still Obtain a Building Approval?

If there is an applicable property overlay and/or is noted on the Queensland Heritage Register, then additional applications to Council and other Heritage departments will be required.

Is a Town Planning Development Approval Required?

Some building work may trigger approval under the planning scheme and therefore is subject to local council town planning requirements.

As part of our preliminary property search service, when you Request a Fee Estimate we may give you some indication that town planning approvals may apply.

What is a “Concurrency Agency Assessment” – Will It Be Required?

Siting Variation – Boundary Relaxation

The State Government’s Queensland Development Code prescribe the minimum required setbacks (distances) between residential buildings or structures and the property boundaries.  In certain circumstances, it may be desirable to construct residential buildings or structures (e.g. carport, pergola, deck, shed etc) closer to a property boundary that the Queensland Development Code allows.  If this applies to your building works, we can assist you in a Siting Variation Application to Council for approval, before a building permit can be issued by the building certifier.

Building Over or Adjacent to Sewer

It some circumstances, it may be desirable to construct a building or structure close to a Council sewer.  You may already have a copy of the sewer plan details from Council for your property and know the whereabouts of the sewer.  As part of our searches, we will obtain a copy of the Council sewer and stormwater mapping information.  A Build Over Sewer application must be lodged, considered and approved by Council before a building permit can be issued by a building certifier. All Councils have adopted a Build Over Sewer policy in accordance with the Building Regulation 2006 to ensure that the sewer remains serviceable at all times. 

Amenity & Aesthetics Relaxations (A&A)

All Councils have adopted an Amenity and Aesthetics Policy in accordance with the Building Regulation 2006.  This Policy facilitates an improved standard of built environment within the community.  For example, criteria such as height and floor area of the structure to be considered.  We can assist you in an Amenity & Aesthetics Application to Council for approval, before a building permit can be issued by the building certifier.

Does D G Certifiers Assist With Other Associated Approvals & Lodge With Council?

At your request, we can prepare and lodge relevant applications (eg. concurrence agency – design and siting, amenities and aesthetics etc) to the Local Authority. 

Where the application is outside our area of expertise, we can certainly provide details of other professionals to assist.

Do I Need a Building Approval?

D G Certifiers will be  able to advise you whether a building approval is required. Before starting construction on most building work, a building permit is required. This can be obtained from a private building certifier.

Some minor works can be exempt or self-assessable. Various aspects of domestic building work such as the maximum height, setback or character, siting or design may be controlled under a council planning scheme and a planning permit is required which would form part of the building approval.

For enquiries about whether a building permit is required, how to apply for a building permit or the standards applicable to building work, complete the online enquiry form now and we can usually respond within 24 hours.

What Will The Building Approval/Certification Cost?

You can Request a Fee Estimate from D.G. Certifiers.

There are many factors that we need to take into account when providing a fee estimate.  

A cost for each project depending on the structure, the locality and inspections required, will be different.

How Long Does the Building Certification Process Take?

Each project is different depending upon the type of structure and approvals required.

DG Certifiers will provide prompt results and accommodate your time frames where possible.

We can also provide a Fast Track service.

Why Do I Need a Building Certifier?

By law, any structural building work including verandas, decks, patios, carports, sheds, garages, shade-sails, pergolas, alterations, extensions, garden sheds, bali huts and retaining walls (depending on circumstances) will require building approval/certification from an licensed and accredited building certifier.