FAQ Categories Archives: General

What is a Site Plan?

A site plan shows the location of all structures on the property (existing and proposed). To obtain a fee estimate, a Site Plan can be prepared by you with some basic information.  As a guide, the following details would usually be shown on a site plan:

  • Location of the proposed structure

  • Setbacks from boundaries – these distances should always be to the outermost projection of the structure

  • Any existing building should be clearly marked

  • Location of the road and street name

  • Location and dimensions of any easements, if known

  • Total floor area of proposed structure, if known

  • Site coverage (total area of all structures on the property), if known

  • Positions of retaining walls

  • Driveway location

  • Location of swimming pool fences, gates and filtration equipment including pipelines ( where applicable)

  • Location of sewerage lines/manholes/connection points, septic tanks trenches disposal areas, if known.


Continue Reading

Licensed Registered Builder or Owner Builder?

The value of the building works will determine whether you require the following:

  • A Licensed registered builder undertaking work over $3300.00 in contract value,  must provide  QBCC insurance (swimming pools do not require QBCC insurance).  The Certificate of Insurance issued to the builder for your building work is a document that forms part of the building permit documents issued by the Certifier. 
  • An Owner Builder undertaking building work over $11,000.00 in must hold a current  Owner Builder Permit. For further information, go to Queensland Building & Construction Commission (QBCC)

  • When does Portable Long Service  Leave Levy (Q-Leave) Apply?
    Q-Leave applies when building and construction work that is to be carried out and the construction cost is $150,000.00 or more.

  • Who Supervises your Building Works?
    The building work is the shared responsibility of the builder; contractor and the owner to ensure that the building work is carried out to an acceptable standard ready for the inspections required as detailed in the building permit documents.


Continue Reading

What Property Searches Are Required?

Depending on the type of building work, the following may apply but are not limited to:

  • Current Title
  • Copy Registered Plan or Survey Plan
  • Easement Documents
  • Flood
  • Noise Transport Corridor
  • Heritage
  • Bushfire
  • Council mapping for drainage
  • Sewers
  • Stormwater
  • Main Roads
  • Town Planning

When providing you with our fee estimate, we will also include details of searches required.

Continue Reading

Will an Energy Efficiency Assessment be Required?

If you are building a new house or renovating, adding rooms to an existing home, enclosing a deck, patio or garage, an energy efficiency assessment and report for a star rating will be required.

The report is required prior to the issue of a building approval. 

We can assist in obtaining the assessment and report and will include fees for the energy efficiency assessment and report in our fee estimate.

Continue Reading


By obtaining flood information from Council, if the property has been affected by flood or high tide levels, stormwater overland flow paths etc, Council will specify minimum floor levels. 

The minimum floor information relevant to flooding must form part of the building approval documents. 

D G Certifiers conducts preliminary flood enquiry when preparing a Fee Estimate.

Continue Reading

My Property is in a Designated Bushfire Prone Area or Buffer Zone – Can I Still Do New Building Work?

Properties can be designated by Council as being located in a Bushfire Prone Area or Buffer Zone.

The outcome of further enquiries regarding the Bushfire overlay on the property, will  determine the level of construction required for the building work to comply with Australian Standard AS3959-2009 Construction of Buildings in Bushfire-Prone areas. 

Advice can also be sought from an independent Bushfire Consultant.

Continue Reading

Building in a Noise Transport Corridor?

As Queensland’s population grows, more residential development will be located close to major transport routes, railways and motorways.

Designated transport noise corridors are state-controlled roads, railways or local government roads that have been designated by the relevant State or Local Government under the Building Act 1975

New residential buildings and alterations e.g. renovations and additions to existing residential buildings in designated transport noise corridors need to comply with the Queensland Development Code. 

Under the code, buildings need to achieve certain levels of noise mitigation through the use of appropriate materials for the floor, walls, roof, windows and doors.

Continue Reading